Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How to update the Bios on a HP Desktop running Linux

Ok so I'm on some training where we have HP DX7400 PCs with 6GB Ram. Only problem is that the OS (SLES 11) only seems to see 3GB. First check was to make sure it was a 64bit OS which was fine. Then like I've found before the HP machine needed a BIOS update to see the 6GB at an OS level.

So here's what I did to get it sorted:

1) Download BIOS update from HP website.
2) Run BIOS update software on separate Windows PC to extract files. (You should also be able to do this under Wine)
3) Make as USB Boot disk as per (http://wiki.fdos.org/Installation/BootDiskCreateUSB) and also include the awdflash.exe and bios file when you do this by copying them into /tmp/fs-root
4) Then just boot of the USB and run awdflash with the bios file and your OS should now be able to see all 6GB ram.

No mess no fuss. This is the second HP PC type I've found that does this, I'm starting to wonder if HP don't want you upgrading these machines with so much memory. I'm sure they'd much prefer you to buy a server with 6GB Ram as opposed to upgrading your desktop PC.

No comments:

Followers