Monday, August 16, 2010

Another Monday in Jozi

Well it was off to work again this morning. Lucky me I ride against the traffic most of the way. I saw two mini bus taxis heading into oncoming traffic to try and avoid the traffic on their side of the road. I guess you can say this is pretty normal for South Africa, but hey, always fun to see when they come head-to-head with a huge BMX 5 series and have no where to go.

I also glad to report that this past weekends round of 'knock-downs' was successful with a light pole in Randburg been completely taken down. Like always it did not look pretty and not anything like a little bumper bashing with the pole. I really should start collecting photos, maybe then people will think twice before drinking and driving. What can I say is drunk people love to knock down traffic lights, light poles and just about anything close to the road in Jozi. I've decide to call this weekend activity in Jozi 'knock-downs' because it seem to be as regular as clockwork, you can look out every Monday morning for the aftermath.

And wow as I read the news I hear about another Taxi accident:

37 hurt in mangled taxis


 "Johannesburg - Thirty-seven people were injured in two separate taxi accidents in Johannesburg on Monday morning, emergency services said.

Spokesperson Percy Morokane said the first accident occurred at 05:30 along the Golden Highway.

"The taxi was travelling from Orange Farm, to the Jo'burg CBD when the driver lost control of the vehicle, and it overturned," he said.

Eleven people were injured, five seriously.

The second accident occurred at the corner of Joubert and Empire roads, in Parktown.
Two taxis collided, leaving 26 people injured, 15 of them, seriously.

"The period between sunrise and sunset, is always a gap for accidents such as these to occur. Motorists must be extra aware during these hours," he said."

ref: http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/37-hurt-in-mangled-taxis-20100816

No comments:

Followers